What is Cyclizine Hydrochloride 50mg?
Cyclizine 50mg tablets are used to treat the nausea, vomiting, and dizziness associated with travel sickness. It is also prescribed to deal with the same symptoms in sufferers of vertigo.
Cyclizine is sometimes misspelled Cyclazine, but they are the same product.
How does Cyclizine work?
The active ingredient in Cyclizine tablets is cyclizine hydrochloride, which is an antihistamine. This ingredient helps to stop you feeling sick or being sick.
You shouldn’t take Cyclizine tablets if:
- You are allergic to any of the ingredients
- You’ve been drinking alcohol, as this medication can increase the toxicity of alcohol.
- You are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or breastfeeding
Make sure that your doctor knows if any of the following apply to you:
- You have glaucoma
- You have urinary retention
- You have an obstructive bowel condition
- You have epilepsy
- You have liver problems
- You suffer from high blood pressure
- You have phaeochromocytoma
- You are a man with an enlarged prostate gland
- Your heart isn’t working properly (heart failure)
- You have porphyria
- You are taking medications for depression, anxiety, difficulty sleeping, any strong painkillers such as pethidine, or anticholinergics
How do you take Cyclizine?
Always take Cyclizine travel sickness tablets as directed by your doctor or pharmacist.
The usual Cyclizine dose is one tablet up to three times daily. Swallow the tablet whole with water. You should take the first tablet 1-2 hours before travelling.
You should not drink alcohol whilst taking Cyclizine Hydrochloride tablets.
Don’t worry if you forget to take a dose but you should never take a double dose.
How effective is Cyclizine?
Cyclizine tablets are effective at treating travel sickness. Since motion sickness tablets are more effective when taken preventatively, it is best to take Cyclizine before you travel.
Other preventative measures that can ease your travel sickness include:
- Breathing deeply
- Closing your eyes or going to sleep
- Looking at a fixed point in the distance
- Getting as much fresh air as possible, either by opening a window or stopping regularly.
What are the main side effects of Cyclizine?
Cyclizine can cause side effects, like any medication can, although not everyone will experience them.
Three common side effects of Cyclizine are:
- Skin rash / itching
- Lack of coordination
Since Cyclizine tablets can make you feel dizzy or drowsy, you shouldn’t drive or operate machinery in the first few days of taking this medication until you know how it affects you.
For a full list of Cyclizine side effects, please see the Cyclizine patient information leaflet.