About Oral Thrush
What is Oral Thrush?
Oral thrush is a yeast infection of the mouth caused by a fungus called candida albicans. It’s also known as oral candidosis or candidiasis.
What are the symptoms of Oral Thrush?
Oral thrush symptoms include the following:
- Redness in the mouth
- Sore mouth and throat
- Cracks in the corners of the mouth
- White patches which can be rubbed off
- Loss of taste
- An unpleasant taste in the mouth
What causes Thrush in the mouth?
The candida group of yeasts causes oral thrush. These yeasts are always on the body, particularly in the warm and moist parts, but they can result in an infection if an imbalance in the bacteria and microorganisms in the body allows them to grow too fast.
How can you treat Oral Thrush?
Oral thrush is usually treated with a gel or liquid that is put in the mouth on the affected area. This is called a topical treatment. Sometimes tablets or capsules may be used instead.
Liquids or gels are generally taken several times a day, whereas tablets or capsules are taken daily. Medication is usually taken for 7-14 days.
What can you do to help prevent Oral Thrush?
There are a number of things you can do to help prevent oral thrush outbreaks. You can:
- Brush your teeth twice a day
- Have regular checkups with your dentist
- Rinse your mouth after meals
- Clean your dentures thoroughly, if you wear them, and visit your dentist if they don’t fit properly
- Stop smoking if you are a smoker
- Rinse your mouth well after using a corticosteroid inhaler, if you use one>
Frequently Asked Questions
How to treat oral thrush?
Oral thrush treatment includes liquids, gels, tablets and capsules.
Can I buy oral thrush treatment over the counter?
Oral thrush treatment can be bought over the counter and online through Instant eCare. Select your treatment, answer the questions in the quick online consultation, and if it’s suitable for you, your treatment can be sent to the address of your choice.