What is a 2-in-1 chlamydia and gonorrhea test kit?
Regular STD testing is an important part of practicing safe sex. To make STD testing easier for you, we now offer at home STD test kits.
Research shows that if a person tests positive for gonorrhea, it is extremely likely that they also have chlamydia. For this reason, we offer a dual STD home test kit to ensure that you are being properly treated for any STI that you may have. The STI home testing kit is easy to use, it is a urine test for men and a swab test for women. You can take this test after undergoing treatment to ensure that your infection has cleared. Taking an at home STD test is an effective way of determining whether or not your infection has been treated.
While the test will detect whether you have either chlamydia, gonorrhea or both, it will not detect the presence of the infections in your throat of anus. If you are concerned that the infection is in your throat or anus you should visit your GP or local genitourinary medicine (GUM) clinic.
How does the test work?
You must take the test according to the directions and then send if off to the lab. You will then have your results within two to three days by phone.
How do I take the test for women?
Please read the instructions that come with your kit. The test kit for women is a swab test. It is important that you read the instructions provided with each test kit before proceeding. You must wash and dry your hands before using the test kit. Your test kit comes with a cotton swab in a sealed test tube.
- Wash and dry your hands
- Open the tube.
- Place the tip of the cotton swab approximately 5 cm into the vagina.
- Rotate the swab around the vagina for 10 to 15 seconds before removing it and placing it back in the test tube.
- Make sure the swab does not come in contact with your hands or any other surfaces before entering the test tube.
- Place the swab back in the test tube and make sure it is closed.
- Label your test tube with your name, date of birth and the date that you collected your sample.
- Place your sample and your filled-out request form in the prepaid envelope.
- Post your prepaid envelope as soon as possible. This can be placed in any post box.
How do I take the test for men?
Please read the instructions that come with your kit. The test for men is a simple urine test. For best results, you should use the urine from the first time you urinate in the morning. If this is not possible, then you should wait at least an hour from the last time you passed urine before taking this test. You should use the first part of your urine.
- Wash your hands before use.
- Complete the enclosed request form with your details.
- Write your full name and date of birth on the label supplied in your pack. This is very important as unlabelled samples cannot be processed.
- Affix the label to the tube.
- Squeeze the sides of the urine collection box to expand it.
- Pass the first part of your urine into the urine collection box until it is half full then finish in the toilet.
- Unscrew the lid of the sample tube.
- Very carefully fill the urine sample tube from the urine collection box, taking care not to get liquid on the outside of the sample bottle.
- Discard any remaining urine and dispose of the collection box.
- Screw the lid of the sample tube tightly.
- Place the tube into the protective packing wallet and close firmly.
- Place the completed form and your urine sample into the pre-paid self-addressed mailer. Post the envelope into any Royal Mail post box. No stamp is required.
How do I get my results?
You should receive your results within 2-3 days of sending them in. We will notify you of your results by telephone.
What comes next?
If you have tested positive after undergoing treatment, you will need to see your GP or go to your local genitourinary (GUM) clinic as you will require additional treatment.
If you have tested positive, but have not yet undergone treatment for chlamydia or gonorrhea, you can order medication online here.
You will still be notified if your results are negative.