What is Warticon Solution / Warticon 0.15% Cream?
Warticon Solution and Warticon Cream are both used to treat genital warts in men and women. They are prescribed to treat warts on a man’s penis and those on a woman’s external genitals.
How does Warticon Solution / Warticon Cream work?
Both Warticon products contain a plant extract called podophyllotoxin as the active ingredient. This ingredient is in a group of medicines called antivirals and it comes from the roots of the podophyllo plant.
Do not use Warticon:
- If you are allergic to any of the ingredients in it
- On broken, damaged or bleeding skin
- If you are using another medicine containing podophyllotoxin
- On an area of skin larger than 4 square centimetres
How do you use Warticon Solution / Warticon Cream?
You should use Warticon products exactly as directed by your doctor.
How often to apply your Warticon products:
- You should apply Warticon Solution or Warticon Cream twice a day for 3 days, following the instructions in the patient information leaflet: Warticon Solution / Warticon Cream.
- Leave 12 hours between applications.
- Don’t apply Warticon for the next 4 days. This completes one treatment cycle.
- If warts remain after 7 days, you can start another treatment cycle.
- You can complete a maximum of 4 treatment cycles. If warts remain after 4 weeks you should go back to your doctor.
If you miss an application, apply it when you remember. You should never apply a double dose of Warticon to make up for a forgotten dose, though.
How effective is Warticon Solution / Warticon Cream?
Warticon Solution and Warticon Cream are effective genital warts treatments if they are used correctly. Non smokers will find genital warts medications more effective than smokers will.
Warticon products will clear up the warts but they are unable to treat the virus that actually causes genital warts. It’s possible that your body may clear the virus by itself in time, but you are likely to experience more warts before that happens.
It is a good idea to abstain from sex when you are treating genital warts. It’s best to wait until your skin has healed and the warts are gone, and then be sure to use a condom to help lessen the chances of passing the virus on to your sexual partner.
What are the main side effects of Warticon Solution / Warticon Cream?
Warticon Solution and Warticon Cream can both cause side effects, like any medication can, but not everyone will experience them.
After 2-3 days of using Warticon Solution or Warticon Cream you may notice some mild irritation. This shows that the medication is working, but if it worsens you should seek medical advice.
Three common side effects of both Warticon products are:
- Wearing away of the top layers of skin
- Burning and itching