Next day delivery
Free option available
With free medical assessment
No hidden fees
Genuine, branded medication
Fully secure & confidential
What is Tiotropium?
Tiotropium is prescribed to chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) to breathe more easily. COPD is a chronic condition, often associated with chronic bronchitis and emphysema. Anyone can be affected by COPD, but sufferers are typically adults over the age of 35 who are smokers.
- You are allergic to tiotropium or any of the other ingredients of this medicine.
- You are allergic to atropine or similar substances such as ipratropium or oxitropium.
- You are allergic to lactose or any other sugars.
- You are pregnant or breastfeeding.
How does Tiotropium work?
Tiotropium is the active substance in this medication. It is a long-acting bronchodilator, meaning it works to open the airways to make breathing easier. It also helps to ease the shortness of breath associated with COPD, making daily life easier and allowing you to remain active for longer.
Make sure your doctor is aware if any of the following apply to you:
- You take any other medicinal products containing ipratropium or oxitropium.
- You suffer from narrow angle glaucoma, prostate problems or have difficulty passing urine.
- You have any kidney problems.
- You have had a heart attack in the last 6 months, or experienced an unstable / irregular heartbeat or severe heart failure in the past year.
- You are taking any other medicines, including inhalers.
How do you take Tiotropium?
Always take Tiotropium as directed by your doctor or pharmacist. Since COPD is a chronic condition and the effects of this medication only lasts for 24 hours, you should take it every day.
The recommended dose is to inhale one capsule a day (at roughly the same time each day) using the Zonda inhaler. One capsule contains 10 micrograms of tiotropium, which is effective over 24 hours. The instructions for use can be found in the patient information leaflet.
You should only inhale the capsules and never swallow them.
How effective is Tiotropium?
Tiotropium is clinically proven to ease COPD symptoms when taken daily as recommended.
It is important to realise that Tiotropium is not intended to relieve sudden tightness of the chest, unexpected breathlessness or wheezing / coughing. Reliever inhalers such as salbutamol should be used for this.
What are the main side effects of Tiotropium?
Like all medicines, Tiotropium can cause side effects, although not everyone will experience them. Make sure the inhalation powder doesn’t get in your eyes as it can irritate them or possibly cause narrow-angle glaucoma. Three common side effects of Tiotropium are:
- Dry mouth
You may be affected by dizziness or blurred vision when using this medication. You should not drive or operate heavy machinery until you are sure you don’t experience these side effects.
For a full list of Tiotropium side effects, please see the patient information leaflet.
|Dosage Instructions||Please see medicine label for the dosage instructions.|