What is Salbutamol?
The Salbutamol Evohaler, or Salamol inhaler, is a fast acting reliever inhaler. It can make breathing easier within minutes for someone having an asthma attack. The Salbutamol Evohaler contains the same active ingredient as Ventolin, but is a more cost effective alternative to the slightly larger, brand name Ventolin asthma pump.
Having a good inhaler is an important part of managing your asthma.
How does Salbutamol work?
Salbutamol works to ease breathing by relaxing the muscles in the air passages to the lungs. This helps to keep the airways open, thus facilitating breathing and alleviating asthma symptoms.
How do you use Salbutamol inhalers?
You must shake your asthma inhaler before each use. Follow this guide on how to use a Salbutamol inhaler for further steps:
- Exhale deeply
- Place the inhaler between your teeth and make sure to close your lips around it
- Slowly start to breathe in
- While continuing to inhale, press the top of your inhaler to release the medication
- Continue until you have inhaled fully
- Hold your breath for 10 seconds
How effective is a salbutamol inhaler in treating asthma?
Salbutamol is a highly effective asthma treatment. Once taken, your symptoms should improve within a matter of minutes. This medication lasts between 3-5 hours. In addition to being highly effective, salbutamol is an affordable way to treat your asthma. It is vital that you ensure you are using the proper inhaler technique.
What are the common side effects of salbutamol?
Typically, asthma inhalers do not have many side effects. Common Salbutamol side effects include feeling shaky, having a headache immediately after use and dizziness. Less common side effects of the Salamol inhaler include:
- Muscle pain or cramps
- Mouth and throat irritation
- Nausea and/or vomiting
For rare side effects see the patient information leaflet.
Make sure to drink lots of water to help alleviate some of the common side effects associated with taking Salbutamol.
Frequently Asked Questions
How often can you use salbutamol?
Do not exceed 8 puffs in 24 hours. Wait 4 hours between doses.
What are the suggested doses for salbutamol?
Always use this medication as prescribed. The dosage is prescribed individually based on your previous asthma treatment. Typically, you use this medication at the onset of asthma symptoms such as tightness in your chest or wheezing. Take one puff as a starting dose. This can be increased to two puffs if the first puff is insufficient.
How do you store this medication?
Do not store above 25°C. Do not freeze or refrigerate. Do not use this medication after the expiry date.
How do you clean an asthma inhaler?
It is important to clean your inhaler once a week to prevent it from becoming blocked. Follow these steps to clean your inhaler:
- Remove the top of the inhaler. Make sure to keep this top dry at all times.
- Remove the metal can from the bottom of the inhaler. Do not put the metal can into water.
- Rinse the bottom of the inhaler with warm water for at least 30 seconds.
- Shake off any excess water and dry the bottom of the inhaler thoroughly. If possible, leave it to dry overnight. Make sure to avoid direct heat when drying the can. Failure to properly dry the inhaler will result in increased blockages.
- Close the cap and screw the top and bottom parts of the inhaler back together.
Where can I buy inhalers online?
You can buy a salbutamol inhaler online here.