What is the Asthma Pack?
The Asthma Pack contains both a brown Clenil Modulite preventer inhaler and a blue Ventolin reliever inhaler. The brown inhaler (Clenil Modulite) is used daily to prevent asthma symptoms while the blue inhaler (Ventolin) is used as needed to relieve asthma symptoms.
How does the Asthma Pack work?
The active ingredient in Clenil Modulite inhalers is beclometasone dipropionate which is a type of corticosteroid, often simply referred to as a steroid. This steroid works to reduce inflammation in the airways, ultimately preventing asthma symptoms from arising.
Ventolin contains the active ingredient salbutamol and treats asthma symptoms after they have appeared. Salbutamol allows the muscles in the airways to relax in order to facilitate breathing and alleviate the symptoms of asthma within minutes.
How do you use the Asthma Pack?
Clenil Modulite is to be taken daily, while Ventolin is to be used at the onset of asthma symptoms. The brown inhaler must be taken daily even if you believe you no longer need it.
How to use Ventolin:
You must shake your asthma inhaler before each use.
- Exhale deeply
- Place the inhaler between your teeth and make sure to close your lips around it
- Slowly begin to inhale
- Press the top of your inhaler once, while you continue to inhale slowly
- Once you have taken a full breath, hold your breath for ten more seconds
How to use Clenil Modulite (Brown) Inhaler:
- Remove the lid from the mouthpiece of the inhaler
- Shake the inhaler
- Breathe out any air in your lungs
- Place your lips around the inhaler in your mouth
- Inhale at the same time press you down on the inhaler
- Hold your breath for 5 to 10 seconds
- Slowly exhale after removing the mouthpiece
- Repeat the steps if you need to take more than one puff
How effective is the Asthma Pack?
Clenil Modulite (brown inhaler) and Ventolin (blue inhaler) are both clinically effective asthma treatments. It is important to have both to ensure that you have the most effective asthma treatment possible. This is because while the brown inhaler prevents asthma symptoms, the blue inhaler can be used in the event that symptoms still arise.
What are the side effects of the Asthma Pack?
Like all medicines, Clenil Modulite and Ventolin can cause side effects, although not everyone will experience them. The most common side effects of Clenil Modulite inhalers are headaches and nausea. For more information on side effects, please see the patient information leaflet.
The most common Ventolin side effects include feeling shaky and having a headache immediately after use. For less frequent side effects, please see the patient information leaflet.